January 26, 2017
Esri’s new Utility Network is specifically designed for the electric, gas, water, wastewater, stormwater, and communication industries. The new Utility Network is built on an innovative services-based architecture that provides significant performance improvements. Combined with the advanced capabilities of Esri’s ArcGIS Platform, the new Utility Network will:
- Improve the way utilities and communication companies manage, edit, and analyze complex networks of infrastructure and plant data using the ArcGIS Platform;
- Increase performance and enhance modeling capabilities to better support a realistic representation of their network;
- Support more responsive editing and analysis functions; and
- Enable greater system integration across the enterprise.
Another key benefit of the new Utility Network is how the utility and communication domain networks are comprised and modeled as a collection of networks. This allows organizations who operate and manage multiple domains (electric, gas, water, wastewater, stormwater, communications) to more accurately model, trace, and analyze their network infrastructure and plant assets. Combined with the enhanced capabilities of the ArcGIS Platform (supported via Desktop, Web, and Mobile Devices, and the underlying Portal services), utilities and communication companies now have the most powerful and integrated enterprise GIS solution in the industry.
Act Now – Preparing for the Move to the New Utility Network
As the enterprise source of geospatial data, the GIS is fundamentally critical to the effectiveness of your daily business needs. Operational and business systems require accurate and complete GIS data to operate effectively and in a timely manner. Therefore, the data quality of network infrastructure and plant information is a particularly important consideration when:
- Preparing for and moving to the new Utility Network
- Taking full advantage of the advanced ArcGIS Platform capabilities
- Enabling integration with vital operational and business systems such as OMS, DMS, AMDS, SCADA, ERP, WMS, OSS, and engineering systems
Upgrading your existing networks to Esri’s new Utility Network may require database and data structure changes. It’s vital to proactively plan each step of the upgrade. Ultimately, we need to consider how to maximize and leverage the benefits of the upgrade into the future.
RAMTeCH’s gNet™ Advantage Program
RAMTeCH is actively working in partnership with Esri and their Utility Network Alpha program, and has developed a comprehensive program to streamline the process of moving to the new Utility Network. Our Geospatial Network Environment Transformation (gNet) Advantage Program delivers the processes and tools necessary for a successful upgrade. With gNet, utilities and communication companies receive a comprehensive framework for preparing data and instituting business practices to achieve and maintain data quality. The outcome is a clear path to move to the new Utility Network now or in the future combined with an enterprise-wide ability to maximize the value of your geospatial data.
RAMTeCH’s comprehensive gNet Advantage Program:
- Minimizes risk moving to the new Utility Network
- Promotes Utility Network & Platform (Web GIS) capabilities
- Expands operational capabilities and decision making
- Maintains data at a high-quality threshold
- Enables enterprise system integration
- Facilitates organization-wide engagement and collaboration
gNet consists of four elements:
- Conduct assessment to identify existing network data and model issues and limitations
- Perform gap analysis between existing geometric network data and new Utility Network data models
- Create current baseline of geospatial data/features
- Evaluate results and develop corrective action plan and strategy
- Perform data updates and corrections based on audit results
- Conduct pre-load data audits of the new Utility Network
- Load and test data into new Utility Network
- Conduct post audit of the data moved into the new Utility Network
- Prepare database and application solution designs
- Develop model for non-Utility Network data
- Set up ArcGIS Portal / Web GIS, and perform solution configuration and development
- Design & deploy domain workflows for new Utility Network data and applications
- Integrate business system(s): OMS, DMS, SCADA, ERP, WMS, Engineering Systems etc.
- Develop long-term strategy for maintaining data & system viability
- Perform on-going data audits to ensure integrity and integration of data
- Manage data/system sustainability (ETL processes, data collection, maintenance tools & processes, etc.)
DISCOVER the power of Esri’s new Utility Network and ArcGIS Platform, and RAMTeCH’s gNet™ Advantage Program. Learn more at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your regional RAMTeCH representative at 651.342.1780.
RAMTeCH is a recognized leader in the GIS industry and strategic Esri business partner. RAMTeCH is an expert in asset and geospatial data and has an unmatched methodology, suite of technology, and expertise to cost effectively and quickly perform your move to the new Utility Network. In addition, our Professional Services team encompasses subject matter experts focused on the planning, implementation, and integration of the ArcGIS Platform including Desktop, Web, and Mobile Devices, and the underlying Portal services.
About the Authors
Dave DiSera is the Vice President of Professional Services and Mark Midas is a Senior Software Engineer for RAMTeCH Software Solutions, Inc., based in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN office. RAMTeCH provides GIS consulting, data services, and cutting-edge Esri-based technology solutions for utility, telecommunication, and government organizations.